Samantha & Zack

Samantha & Zack

Take your everyday, ordinary life—your sleeping, eating, going-to-work, and walking-around life—and place it before God as an offering. Embracing what God does for you is the best thing you can do for him.Romans 12:1

Saturday, January 26, 2013

My 1st Lecture!!

God is allowing me to have some amazing FUN this semester!
To graduate in May with my Master's in Nurse Education, 
I am required to complete a education preceptorship.
I am honored to be working under one of my favorite undergraduate professors, Dr.Gore.
She is allowing me to see some many aspects of being a college professor 
and I LOVE IT! 
Lecturing, teaching labs and clinicals, making out test questions.....
I am getting to do it all!
I love being back "home" at Miller Hall. 
I will be forever thankful for my time there and grateful to all the sweet
people who invested their expertise into my life!
I am beyond excited about these opportunities at Auburn 
and patiently awaiting to see what doors God opens next.....
Tuesday, Jan.22 was my very first lecture all by myself.
I prepared my PowerPoint and dressed the part....
I spent the night with Mom to save me a couple of hours driving time...
however, I was WIDE AWAKE at 4am!
My nerves were SHOT to say the least.
I couldn't in breakfast I was so jittery.
When I arrived on campus, before getting out of the car, 
I pulled out my "Jesus Calling" devotional book and this was what God said....
WOW! 
GOD IS GOOD! 
In that moment, I had ultimate peace that could only come from Him.
I couldn't wait to get started!
I began by holding up this Dora bag full of "chocolate" for my students to share!
I first explained to them that when I was in nursing school, 
my study group (which I highly encouraged them to form also)
always ate chocolate and eggs before big tests!
It is proven that it helps....and we were willing to do anything to help us on nursing school tests! 
So I brought them chocolate this morning to help them through me lecture.
I then said it is in a Dora bag because I love Dora because she is smart
and because I have a beautiful niece, Blakely, who also loves her.
I then played the video of B counting in Spanish for the class.
I told them I not only wanted to show off my niece but also make them
realize that they are like Blakely in many ways....
They are "baby nurses" at this point but CAN and WILL be taught
things that may seem like a foreign language to them.
I then of course showed them picture of my sweet hubby and Trey.
After the personal intro....we went around the room for introductions where they all filled in the blanks:
My name is _________
I am from __________
I want to be a __________ nurse!

I loved hearing each person's dream!
I then shared with them that my first semester of nursing school I thought I could be nothing but a labor and delivery nurse. I just thought it would be the perfect fit for me.
However, I ended up "playing in the ER" at CVMC during my med-surg clinical rotation.
I fell in love with Coosa Valley and completed my senior preceptorship in their ER.
I guess they fell in love with me too because I had a full-time job offer before I graduated!
I told them all that because....it is great to have a dream and vision...
but to also be open to all opportunities!
Also, always be your best everywhere you go.
No matter what clinical site you are at....
it may end up being your first JOB!
I then lectured for almost 2 hours on Evidence Based Practice, Assessment and Vital Signs!
I did an anonymous evaluation at the end that the students turned into another professor.
I received wonderful feedback from them!!
I have enjoyed seeing them all in lab this week also!
Looking forward to our next lecture in a couple of weeks
and watching these "baby nurses" grow!

Thursday I had the opportunity to be a facilitator during Advanced Mock Hospital
with the senior students who will be graduating this spring.
I was amazed and SO PROUD of how well they performed!!
I am thankful for AUSON and the hard work they put into
each course and curriculum design to produce amazing nurses!!

ANOTHER BIG BLESSING......
while in Disney World, I received a message from my sweet friend and undergraduate professor, Dr.Pope, that asked me to call him when I got back into town about an "opportunity"!
In anticipation, I called him the moment my phone had service.....
I am now his graduate teaching assistant for the 2013 year!
WOW.....again God is just faithful and I am so thankful!
Not only is this also such a fun and amazing opportunity but a huge
financial blessing for our family!
I am excited and beyond thankful....
words can't describe my gratitude......
I am looking forwarding to what God puts in front of me next!
Take your everyday, ordinary life—your sleeping, eating, going-to-work, and walking-around life—and place it before God as an offering. Embracing what God does for you is the best thing you can do for him.Romans 12:1
view.jpg





No comments:

Post a Comment